Wednesday 10 June 2015

Having Some 'Me' Time





I have found myself suffering with quite a few health issues recently as well as having a stressful time generally and as such I have made a conscious effort in order to relax more.  In this post I am going to share some of the ways in which I like to relax after a hectic day.


As I work in London and have to commute in, I find a lot of my day is taken up with travelling and working; I get up at 6 am, leave the house at 7:15 am and then I do not walk back through the door again until 6:30 pm.  That is nearly 12 hours of my day consumed by either getting to work or working, it's a very long day and I have found lately that it has been taking its toll.

I have recently embarked on making a much more conscious effort to do something productive with my evenings and weekends in order to help me relax and I hope by sharing these plans that it may give some inspiration to others.

Walking With The Dogs

I really enjoy walking my little dog Mollie (and our family dog Milo) of an evening and at the weekends.  We have a few places that we enjoy takings our dogs so that they can get a good run and are able to be off the lead (which is frowned upon in a lot of parks).  Mollie is always a great way to put a smile back on my face and even after a hard day, seeing her running around enjoying herself can always cheer me up.  Probably my most favourite way to relax, it helps me to clear my mind and get a bit of exercise.

I appreciate that not everyone is fortunate enough to have a dog to motivate them but walking is a great way to just clear the cobwebs away, get a bit of fresh air and take your mind off the day.  It is also a really great bit of exercise and has many health benefits.   

Photography

If we are going somewhere a bit different with the dogs or it is a nice evening out then I love taking my camera with me and seeing what I can capture.  Just taking a few moments and thinking solely about what I'm looking at through the lens can help me to forget about what is on my mind for a few seconds.  I really enjoy coming home and seeing what my photographs look like on a bigger screen, editing them and then sharing them on Instagram.  

Blogging

I find when I'm really knotted up about something just typing up posts can help me take my mind off things for an hour or two.  I find writing makes me sleepy and sometimes after a tense day it is exactly what I need to get a good nights sleep.  I often find after I have written a few posts that when I do lay my head down that I am full of new post ideas.

Blogging has over the last year given me a creative outlet and somewhere I can be myself, express my opinions and help unleash my desire to write and be read.  It is really great to have a platform where someone can read your words and be affected.  I love getting lost in takings blog photos and then watching the words come to life when I switch on my laptop. I can totally lose myself with blogging and that is what makes it a great way to relax.

Art Therapy

I have recently been absolutely obsessed with Art Therapy; I dread to think how much money I have spent on various magazines, books, pencils, pens!  

Art Therapy if you haven't heard of it is 'adult colouring'.  There are so many magazines out at the moment which contain designs which are there for you to colour in.  I find this very relaxing and can unwind by using calming colours and lose myself planning which colours I want to use next.  I often zone completely out, spending hours completing a design whilst listening to my favourite music.  

This is also something that makes me tired which is good for me as when I'm feeling tense or have a lot on my mind I often lie in bed mulling things over which can end up with me lying in bed awake for hours.  

Reading

There is something about reading a book that is so relaxing for me; I love getting lost in a really good book.  If a book is really good I can sit down and read for hours and it is a great way of getting my mind of things that might be bothering me.  I love reading series as well one off books and some of my favourites which I have blitzed through are:-


  • Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
  • The Hunger Games (Series) by Suzanne Collins
  • The Host by Stephenie Meyer
  • Something Borrowed & Something Blue by Emily Griffin
  • The Time Travellers wife by Audrey Niffenegger
  • Getting Rid of Matthew by Jane Fallon 
  • 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover & The (Im)Perfect Girlfriend by Lucy-Anne Holmes
  • The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Watching My Favourite Film(s)

When I am need cheering up I love to pop in my favourite film to help lighten my mood.  My favourite kinds of film are comedies and I really like films that are 'quotable'.  When I feel like I need a laugh my favourite films to put on are:

  • Superbad
  • Role Models
  • Snatch
  • Dodgeball
  • Anchorman

I try and avoid any chick flicks or anything I might need to think about when I'm having a bad day; sometimes it is great to just relax and turn my mind off when watching a funny film.

What are you favourite ways to relax?  I would love to hear about them!

Emma x

No comments:

Post a Comment