Friday 21 February 2014

Life \\ Wonders : Cold & Flu Miracle Cures

Hi everyone,

So I was feeling a bit sorry for myself last week because I had a rotten cold and to help me through it, I was using some vitamins and herbal, all natural supplements to just give me a little bit more of a chance to help fight it off.

In view of this, I thought I would share with you guys what my little tricks are to either help shorten the duration or to nip them in the bud before they happen.



Echinacea

This is an all natural substance which contains plant leaves and roots and can be used to fight upper repository infections such as colds, amongst other things. 

This is such a great product to stop that little tingle of a sneeze developing into a full on cold.  I have it in two forms.  First is a tincture form which basically you put a few drops in some water and swirl it round, swallow it down and there you go.  The second I have is just in tablet form which do not taste that great. I prefer the tincture as I find it more effective but it is also more expensive. 

I have done a little research on the internet and it appears that they have done clinical tests in 2007 and this revealed that 26% of the adults they tested were found to reduce the combined number and duration of a cold over a four month trial compared to the placebo.  If you want more information, link to NHS website is here and for some further information on Echinacea itself then link to WebMD is here.

To be honest, I don't really need to know about the research because I know this works for me every time.  It might not prevent a cold / virus every time I take it (because lets face it, if it did it would be flying off the shelves!) but I know it helps to prevent one from developing the majority of the time and when I do take it when I'm not very well, it helps clear it up within 4/5 days instead of say 7 days I would probably suffer a cold without taking it.  

This has been a winter essential of mine for many years now and I always make sure I maintain a good supply. 

Prices range from £3.50 to £13.50 and link is here if you are interested. 

Vitamin C Effervescent

Well we have all heard of Vitamin C haven't we?  It comes in the forms of oranges and Ribena.  But you can also get a great dose from an effervescent when you really need the help by popping a little tablet in water and letting it fizzle away into a refreshing drink.

Vitamin C (if you didn't already know) helps to keep your immune system in tip top shape and these can be taken once a day every day or just if and when you feel you need a little boost.

Usual price £2.55 and link is here

Cold & Flu Defence Nasal Spray

I have only just recently tried this one out but by far my current favourite cold essential.  First I was a little sceptical; "Clinically proven" did have me raising my eyebrows.  

But truly this has worked wonders for me.  You can use this three times a day at the first sign of a cold or during the duration of a cold to help shorten the suffering.  Alternatively, it does say you can use this several times a day at the beginning of a cold as a preventative measure but to be honest, I wouldn't want to use it more than three times because it's not exactly a 'pleasant' experience.

As the name suggests, it is a nasal spray and the first time I tried this, it was hideous but you do get used to the sensation.  You just hold one nostril, spray up the other and then repeat.  Have a tissue handy.  Don't try in a public place.  

As for the clinically proven part, what the small print says is that is contains Carragelose which apparently is "clinically proven to help defend against colds and flu, as well as help shorten the duration and severity of both colds and flu".  

In any case, clinically proven or not I love this little wonder and I have already replaced it since getting my first bottle. 

Usual price is £6.95 and link is here

I must admit, I probably suffer from one cold a year, two at most.  Maybe I have a good immune system or perhaps I just have so many wonderful products which I know how to and when to use that it keeps any little coughs or cold at bay.

Hopefully this is a helpful post if you're currently suffering as it appears to be doing the rounds at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment