Tuesday 2 September 2014

Review : Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner Pen in Black




Hey guys,

I have mentioned this product an awful lot lately but I realised that I haven't actually shared my full thoughts on this gel liner with you guys yet.

If you watched my What's In My Bag : Festival Edition video or seen my Face Of The Day : Festival Edition post then you'll know that I originally picked this product up because I was attending Wireless Festival and I thought a gel liner would last better throughout the day.

I will hold my hands up now and say that I am no expert at applying eyeliner and my skills are pretty much begin and end with an straight(ish) line with a flick on the end.  However, even I find using this eyeliner an absolute doddle. 


As you can see, the nib is angled but what you probably can't see is that it's actually made out of silicon and you have to twist the end to actually get the product out.  Once you've twisted and got the right amount of product to your satisfaction you can then just gently glide this over the lids.  Because the tip is made of silicon, it's very soft and you can use this without too much pressure to the eyelid to create your liner as thick or as thin as you want it to look.  

I have found in the past that when you have a stiff pen or brush that the product does not flow very easily and sometimes some angles can be very difficult to reach.  All my problems are now solved with the easy silicon applicator which allows you to manipulate its position and angle in order that you can perform the perfect flick and fill in any gaps which you may have missed without making a total mess.

The nib is angled so that at the top you can create a really thin line or if you're after some serious eyeliner art and definition you can lay the nib flat against your eyelid to create a really thick, clean line with an easy swipe.




Hopefully this close up shot will give you guys a true sense of how basic my eyeliner application skills are but even I don't think I've done too bad a job with my new favourite eyeliner.

 My one disappointment, as you may be able to see, is that it does run slightly upon application.  I do tend to find that it rubs off onto the top of my eyelid but perhaps I am just simply not allowing this enough drying time.  But in the above photo you can see this has transferred down slightly onto my water line in the corner of my eye.


Would I buy this product again?  I'm not 100% sure.  I like the concept and I like the application however the product itself has left me slightly disappointed.  I actually bought this around the same time as the Benefit Push Up Liner came out and the reason I tried it was because I wanted to try something similar but not splurge on the Benefit one.  Now I know I like how the application and the way it works, I would be more likely to plump for the Benefit Push Up Liner however for beauty on a budget I'd suggest this is a great dupe.

If you'd like to pick up the Lasting Drama Gel Pen then you can do so here and RRP is £8.99.

Have you tried this gel liner pen or any others?  I'd love to know your thoughts so please feel free to comment below :o)



No comments:

Post a Comment